Influence and Persuasion Skills: Leading Strategies for Getting Results
The success of your project and the course of your career depends on your ability to influence people to get things done. This highly interactive workshop will give you a framework and strategies for developing your powers of influence and persuasion without manipulation or coercion.
Leadership is the activity of influencing people to cooperate towards some goal, which they come to find desirable and which motivates them over the long haul.
— Ordway Tead, The Art of Influence (1935)
Discover your influence style, your power sources, how to build social capital and how to communicate value, to win people over to new ideas. Learn how to exercise the power and influence you need to get things done through others when your responsibilities exceed your formal authority. This workshop is designed for emerging leaders who want to advance their careers and who aspire to positions of broader scope and impact.
- Identify your communication style and receive pointers on how to communicate best with others for better results.
- Identify your personal brand equity (your reputational power) and assess your impact & influence skills
Power and Influence Competencies
- Examine 7 laws of influence, and factors which foster power in organizations
- Discuss the pros and cons influencing strategies
- Identify high performance behaviours for persuading, convincing or influencing others
- Ideas for developing on-the-job leadership competencies in yourself and others
- Develop and grow relationships within your organization and network
- Establish or regain credibility so you can begin to influence people
- Effectively use your power base to persuade others
- Develop and grow relationships within your organization and beyond
- Create a collaborative work environment for faster, better results
- Successfully sell your ideas and implement change
- Adapt your style to the person or situation you’re dealing with
- How to pitch your ideas and get buy-in. Adapt your style to the person or situation you’re dealing with. (Teams will pitch an idea of their choice during the workshop.)
- Learn key strategies for effectively influencing upper management, and co-workers
- What to do when your idea gets shot down
- How to gain commitment from boss and co-workers
- Develop your ability to flex your communication styles, depending on your audience, and learn to connect, not just communicate
- Tactics to help you build your personal brand/currency and ability to influence others
- Develop competencies for influencing co-workers, clients, and senior management
- Create an action plan to cultivate your overall effectiveness as an influencer
- Develop on-the-job leadership competencies in yourself and others
- Identify specific challenges facing your group and explore how these might be resolved via influencing for impact
- Learn how to get buy-in for your ideas
This program is offered as a workshop or through coaching.
Linda Naiman introduced participants to a lot of new concepts and techniques that have applicability to all their “spheres of influence.” Many employees have applied the tool of reversing assumptions to help solve workplace problems since GenoPalooza.
Your workshop forced self-reflection and group discussion on a number of topics employees may not otherwise think about on a regular basis. The workshop handout materials have proven to be a great reinforcement and further learning tool.
Human Resources Director
Genologics Life Sciences Software