The Alchemy of Coaching: Finding the gold of wisdom that guides your Hero’s Journey of transformation
I help people who feel creatively unfulfilled at work, find desirable solutions. If you feel called to something greater than what your current job offers, I can help you embark on your Hero’s Journey of transformation. Having a guide will help you stay on track and move confidently through the anxiety and confusion that can accompany transitions.
When the world as we know it is no longer fulfilling or endurable, when there is a crisis, or when a door closes, we are “called forth” to step into a higher purpose. Joseph Campbell said: “The call rings up the curtain, always on the mystery of transfiguration. The familiar life horizon has been outgrown; the old concepts, ideals, and emotional patterns no longer fit; the time for passing the threshold is at hand.”
Joseph Campbell called the stages of change and transformation the Hero’s Journey. What stage are you in?
- Leaving the old Status Quo. Stepping into the unknown to find your calling or answer a call
- Facing fear of the unknown, loss, grief, uncertainty, or obstacles
- Finding gold (your true self) — and your transforming idea
- Integrating your vision into your life and work
- Returning to the Ordinary World to create your new Status Quo
Aristotle said the noblest goal in life is eudaemonia: Striving toward excellence based on one’s unique talents and potential. For many, this means finding your calling, reinventing your career and making the shift from success to significance.
If you are undergoing a significant change in your life, such as wanting a career change, finding meaningful work. or recovering your creativity, coaching can help you stay on track and move confidently through the anxiety and confusion that can accompany transitions.
As your coach, we will take a deep dive into a co-creative process:
• Providing insight into who you are and your potential
• Offering support, encouragement, and validation
• Discovering or answering your Calling
• Painting a vision of what you can become or accomplish
• Exploring possibilities and building on past success
• Brainstorming strategies together
• Developing creativity and the leadership skills to take action
• Ensuring accountability; checking up on goals
• Making informed decisions
• Designing action steps that lead to greater effectiveness and fulfillment
Design your future, compose your life, and accelerate progress towards achieving your goals.
These are some of the results you can expect from coaching:
Coaching helps you amplify your awareness of self and others, find clarity in chaos, navigate life changes, make informed decisions, revitalise your creativity, and develop strategies, all for the purpose of helping you achieve your dreams, goals and aspirations. Coaching is solution-focused, goal orientated and will help you achieve measurable results.
• Find or answer your calling
• Find meaning and purpose in your life and work
• Design your future based on your values, purpose, and vision
• Amplified creativity, productivity and efficiency
• Increased income
• More time. Enriched quality of life
• Improved relationships (personal and professional)
• Accelerated progress towards achieving your goals
• Creative resilience
I experienced my own Hero’s Journey of transformation after suffering from creative blocks and boredom at the height of a successful design career.This journey led to finding my mission in life: Transforming the way we live and work through creativity, innovation and artistry.
I am a pioneer of arts-based learning in business, and co-author of Orchestrating Collaboration at Work (Wiley 2003). I specialize in developing leadership, creativity and innovation in organizations. Clients include Fortune 500 companies and public sector organizations that span the globe. I am an associate business coach at the University of British Columbia, helping faculty and managers develop creative leadership skills and advance their careers.
My approach to coaching is informed by art, design, and business I am a graduate of the Corporate Coach University Advanced Corporate Coaching Program and hold a BFA from California College of the Arts.
The encounter between business and the arts illuminates the value of the human being, with all his/her resources, including the most unutterable of them all, the spiritual one. No wonder Linda Naiman defines herself as a corporate alchemist, who turns leaden thinking into gold. Alchemy, the art of turning any trivial material into gold, is the perfect metaphor for the arts when applied to public or private institutions.
—Tatiana Chemi, writes in her book Artbased Approaches