Here is a fun creativity quiz:
Are you a professional? This short creativity quiz from Accenture will help you understand your thinking style better. The questions aren’t difficult and you can scroll down for the answers.
1. How do you put a giraffe into a refrigerator?
The correct answer is: Open the refrigerator, put in the giraffe and close the door. This question tests whether you tend to do simple things in an overly complicated way.
2. How do you put an elephant into a refrigerator?
Wrong Answer: Open the refrigerator, put in the elephant and close the refrigerator.
Correct Answer: Open the refrigerator, take out the giraffe, put in the elephant and close the door. This tests your ability to think through the repercussions of your actions.
3. The Lion King is hosting an animal conference, all the animals attend except one. Which animal does not attend?
Correct Answer: The Elephant. The Elephant is in the refrigerator. This tests your memory. OK, even if you did not answer the first three questions, correctly you can surely answer this one.
4. There is a river you must cross. But it is inhabited by crocodiles. How do you manage it?
Correct Answer: You swim across. All the crocodiles are attending the Animal Meeting! This tests whether you learn quickly from your mistakes.
According to Accenture, around 90% of the professionals they tested got all questions wrong. But many preschoolers got several correct answers. Why? Pre-schoolers still use their natural creativity while the business professionals have “learned” to think logically, to over complicate issues and see problems using previously learned mental models. Accenture says this conclusively disproves the theory that most professionals have the brains of a four-year old.
Four creative problem-solving steps to look at challenges from a new perspective:
- Consider simple answers before looking for complicated ones
- Think about the consequences of your actions
- Use all available information
- Focus on the big picture, not just a small part of it