Corporate arts-based learning is an interdisciplinary approach to learning, using the arts as a pathway to explore non-art topics such as leadership, change, and innovation in business.
The goal of arts-based learning is not to teach people to be artists but to create immersive learning experiences using artistic processes to help people gain new insights and perspectives about business challenges.
We cannot find all the answers to our challenges in the world of the rational, logical, and scientific. Consequently, the arts are emerging as a role model for business to adopt. Through art, we can make it safe to ask the deeper questions that lead to the emotional truth about a situation.
Art making helps us quiet the mind and put us in touch with our inner wisdom. The art making process takes people out of the realm of analytical thinking and into the realm of silence, reverie, and heightened awareness.
Art creates a bonding experience that facilitates collaboration and accelerates the ability get to the heart of a problem. Drawing or painting images illustrates how differently we see things, and helps us appreciate that many points of view contribute to the whole. Images externalize the unconscious and make tacit knowledge visible.
Art-based activities can be used strategically to create safety, build trust, find shared values, and shift perceptions. Combining right-brain imagination with left-brain logic and analysis increases the capacity for breakthrough ideas and insights that lead to success.
Benefits of arts-based workshops/corporate training
- Activities such as drawing, painting, carving, quiet the rational mind and awaken the intuitive mind, enabling flashes of insight to occur.
- Visual art teaches us to see more nuances & details about a subject. Innovators, artists, and inventors all have excellent observation skills.
- Music teaches us to listen more deeply, and this skill can be transferred to leadership and management development
Art–based learning can be used in business to enhance:
- Leadership development
- Creativity & Innovation skills development
- Design thinking
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Values creation and meaningful work
- Appreciative Inquiry and leading change
- Corporate retreats: Hosting Strategic Conversations
- Meetings and Think Tanks
- Culture change
- New product development
- Idea-generation and problem-solving
- Role-playing and improving communications