“You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him discover it within himself.” —Galileo
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a collaborative and co-creative process that inspires self-discovery, new possibilities, and strategic actions, designed to help you achieve your goals. The coaching conversation is an excellent tool that gives you a safe and secure outlet to discuss matters of importance with a neutral, confidential thinking partner. Coaching is based on asking powerful questions that ignite creative ways of thinking, inspiring you to do more than you thought you could, and holding you accountable for your decisions, actions and results.
Coaching provides the opportunity to reflect on matters of importance to you and to receive insightful feedback. Coaching often brings sensitive issues front and center, and I provide compassionate support to help you make changes that may be difficult to do on your own. The coaching process is designed to free you from past constraints, open you to new possibilities for being and doing, and to challenge you to reach your full potential.
What do clients ask to be coached on?
- Leadership capabilities and effectiveness
- Addressing tough questions and difficult conversations in the workplace
- Starting or finishing a significant creative project
- Overcoming barriers
- Improving the ability to influence, persuade and motivate others to turn ideas into action
- Navigating a major change
- Creating a new vision following a life or career transition, and finding a mission and purpose worth pursuing
Elements of coaching include:
- Values and skills assessments/inventories
- Customized learning activities and resources
- Keeping a journal of your process and progress
- E-mail support between calls
My coaching philosophy
I subscribe to the coaching philosophy which honours the client as the expert in his/her life, and I believe that every client is creative, resourceful, and whole. When appropriate, I offer consulting and mentoring based on my expertise in leadership, collaboration, creativity, arts-based learning, and design thinking.
My responsibilities as a coach:
- Support you in setting rewarding goals
- Discover, clarify, and align with what you want to achieve
- Listen objectively and provide candid feedback
- Encourage self-discovery, creativity and learning by doing
- Elicit your solutions and strategies
- Hold you responsible and accountable for your choices and actions
Benefits of coaching
- Overcome barriers that keep you from making progress
- Maximize your strengths and abilities
- Improved productivity, and efficiency
- Complete unfinished business and move on
- Achieve more with less effort
- More time for reflection and creative pursuits
- Create sustainable change in your life and work
- Live life with purpose, passion and integrity
Time and commitment involved:
Most coaching takes place by phone or Skype. The frequency of meetings ranges from once a week to twice a month, for a minimum of 3 months. You may also request spot coaching via email or a quick call between sessions. Each coaching session ends with a request for actions (homework) and/or an inquiry for further reflection.
Coaching is offered via group facilitation on-site, or by phone or Skype for private one-on-one sessions, and group conference calls.
Linda helped me tremendously when I was going through a challenging life transition. She guided me through crucial junctures and assured me I was on the right path. She held me accountable to my goals and called me on my assumptions. The resources she provided enabled me to not only clarify my priorities but also begin to live the life I’ve imagined. By my last coaching session, I had articulated a vision for my life and work and developed a strategy to make it happen. Thanks Linda!
—Drew, former SVP
My experience with Linda has been life-changing –such a positive experience. More than once Linda had the courage to point out that I was out of alignment with my own integrity, my own values and knowing -essentially calling me on my “bullshit.” I attribute breakthroughs in key areas of my life, to the conversations I had with Linda. If you’re looking for an easy route find another coach. If you’re looking for someone who is going to hold you to your own integrity, your own worth, your highest potential and help you get there then pick Linda. Won’t be easy but the journey will be well worth it.
—David A., Director
One of the most poignant learnings I have gained through our coaching sessions is to gauge where to put my focus and energy: where are the green lights and where are the red lights? Sometimes i have been hovering in the yellow light zone, hesitating to call something for what it was: a red light. Stopping, putting an expiry date on activities and business relationships that are going nowhere–helps me to put energy into positive initiatives. Knowing that a green light is bright green really helps me to put more focus there. Thanks so much for helping me find clarity!
—Faculty member at UBC
Through my coaching sessions with Linda, I have built a solid foundation for my career and life goals. Now being able to clearly articulate my ideas, I feel more confident in my decisions and direction. I now know what fits and what doesn’t within the larger picture. I’d recommend Linda to anyone who wants to get clear about their vision for the future and what it takes to make it a reality.
—L. M. Designer
Linda has been a great coach assisting me in many aspects of my professional life. Her skills helped me to identify the areas in my business that needed clarity and improvement. When I started working with Linda I was in the middle of a career transformation. She helped me to focus, identify business strategies, and take the necessary steps to get my business off the ground. I highly recommend Linda as a business coach.
—Leslie J. Fenner, former SVP